22 June 2011

Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo

First of all, I'm sort of obsessed with shampoo for some reason. When I was a teenager my father would get so mad at me for having multiple bottles of random hair care products in the shower. Now I try to pare things down, not that my husband would think that I do.


I heard about Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo from TheSilverLining80 on YouTube and since I was ready to make a Vitacost purchase, I decided to throw some of this shampoo into my cart.

Here is the description of this shampoo direct from Desert Essence's website: Provides intense moisture to dry or over-processed hair, smoothes frizzies and restores hair’s natural luster, leaves hair feeling soft and healthy.Coconut Oil Cleansers gently cleanse dry or damaged hair. Organic Jojoba oil moisturizes hair and scalp so hair looks and feels healthier. Organic Olive Oil leaves hair soft and silky without weighing it down.


This product smells absolutely amazing. It's very coconutty and summery without that strange plastic undertone that I detect in some coconut scented products. This is just pure, fresh coconut. I was also shocked at the amount of lather that this product creates. I used a bit too much the first time because I'm used to sulfate free products that require quite a bit of effort to get sudsy. This, however, has immediate and luxurious bubbles that smell devine. It doesn't weigh my hair down and it doesn't seem to have any detectable buildup yet, but it adds just enough moisture so that if I am running behind and don't want to take the time to use conditioner I don't need to.

There are no parabens, phthalates, silicones or sulfates in this product. In fact, the ingredients look pretty good to me for such a sudsy and effective sulfate free product.

Water (Aqua), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract*, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract*, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract*, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract*, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Seed Extract*, Sambucus Nigra (Black Elderberry) Flower Extract*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Sodium Coco-Sulfate (Coconut Derived), Decyl Glucoside (Coconut and Corn Derived), Propanediol (Corn Derived), Coco-Glucoside (Coconut Derived), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Coco Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Dehydroacetic Acid, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides (Coconut Derived), Sodium Chloride, Potassium Sorbate (Fruit Derived), Lauryl Glucoside (Plant Derived), Benzyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Stearyl Citrate (Vegetable Derived), Fragrance (Parfum) * Certified Organic

Have any of you used any of Desert Essence's products? There are other shampoos on their site if the coconut doesn't strike your fancy. I will definitely be trying the other formulas and conditioners and will most definitely repurchase this particular one. I think I'll even buy this as a gift for my coconut loving brother.

No comments: