14 June 2011

The Green Monster

In my last blog I had mentioned that I was planning on trying the Green Monster Movement and I did manage to make one of those Virgin Green Smoothies that are listed in the recipes section of the website.

I'll admit it. I wasn't overly thrilled with the idea of putting a banana, spinach, almond milk, ice and flax seeds into my blender so that I could then consume it in a liquified state. However, I also know that I'm not eating enough fruits and vegetables even if I do eat a cucumber per day (don't ask). I also know that some things like this are an acquired taste and if this little concoction can help to heal my skin from acne, prevent future breakouts and provide healthy nutrients, I might as well acquire that taste for it!

I whipped up a green smoothie and drank it. The first taste was a bit of a shock because it wasn't as potent tasting as I had expected. It was quite mild, bananaesque and thick. I didn't hate it, but I'm so used to sweeter smoothies that I also didn't love it right away. As I drank it, I found that the farther in I got, the more I didn't want to drink it. I do think that I made a much too large smoothie for my first time and that might account for some of the aversion I was feeling toward the end.

I didn't take a photo of my particular creation, but if you want to see what they look like simply Google "green monster smoothie" and then look at the images. They are green and slushy looking.

The strange thing is that I really did feel quite good after drinking it and for the rest of the evening. I ate more fruits and vegetables the day I made the green smoothie than I usually do in a week. I know that I'll make more of these soon and I'll probably try different recipes to shake things up a little. I think that pineapple is going to be the next addition to my smoothie. Ideally, I'll be making and drinking a green smoothie daily.

Have any of you tried a Green Smoothie or Green Monster? Let me know what you think.

No comments: